How 10 to 14 year olds can benefit from Martial Arts!
Ten to fourteen-year-olds, for the most part, are the smartest students in the school. Yes, they are smarter than most adults! They are also physically competent and can excel in most physical challenges that are presented to them. The problem we discovered is they are so focused on what is socially acceptable that they have a hard time keeping themselves emotionally driven to the task at hand. The solution we found is to provide them with their own program that targets their stage of development in a manner that nurtures their social and emotional instability while at the same time building skills that set them up for success. With that said a structured program introducing extreme skill-based training in martial arts has proven to be very successful.
Below are milestones that martial arts can help accomplish:
Top PHYSICAL development milestones:
• Demonstrating DEXTERITY to even the smallest details to the task at hand.
• Apply effort to challenging tasks such as building MOMENTUM in their jumps and spins.
• Demonstrating STRENGTH by applying power and mechanics to exercises.
Top INTELLECTUAL development milestones:
• Show good decision-making skills by having the proper INSTINCTS and REACTION when put under pressure.
• Demonstrate PRECISION by applying accuracy in their movements.
• Demonstrate VERSATILITY by showing the capability of performing a variety of moves in multiple directions.
Top EMOTIONAL development milestones:
• Apply effort by tapping into their intrinsic motivation.
• Engage with extreme effort despite obstacles, or personal moods.
• Work through embarrassing situations.
Top SOCIAL development milestones:
• Have VISION by seeing the bigger picture in life as it applies to making the best choices.
• Show maturity when working with their peers despite the mood and tone of the environment.
• Take praise and recognition as a signal that they are on the right path, and not a form of patronization.